National Honor Society Membership Obligations
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
PCA students who have have completed thier Freshman year and have achieved a 3.5 GPA or higher, may proceed with the application process.
The following items are required for membership in the Genesis Chapter of the National Honor Society at Providence Christian Academy:
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher
- Participate in at least one corporate NHS service project each year
- Engage and report on a personal service project (may be one already completed for PCA required service hours)
- Participate in meetings as established by the Chapter Officers
- Model the 4 key characteristics of NHS: Character, Scholarship, Leadership, Service
- A $25 onetime fee will be required (this covers the cost of the NHS pin, membership card, and graduation cords)
- Failure to meet the above obligations will result in disciplinary action which at its highest level is dismissal from the Society
The following are required to complete the application process to be considered for membership (please note, these do not guarantee acceptance).
- Completion of the Candidate Form
- At least one leadership role as a Sophomore; at least two as a Junior or Senior
- 20 or more hours of service activities listed for each year in the School of Rhetoric (as required for graduation); if you have logged these electronically, this may be printed and turned in. Be sure that all points on the application are addressed even if it needs to be written in.
- At least one “Other Student Activity” or “Other Community Activity”
- 3 Character Evaluation Forms will need to be completed and returned in sealed envelopes (as described on the form)
(Further details are noted on the Candidate Form. Be sure to complete all required areas as directed.)
The deadline for turning in the Candidate Form and Character Evaluation Forms will be noted in PCA’s school e-newsletter the Lion’s Roar, and posted in the Rhetoric Hall. The forms will be due early in the 1st quarter each year. All application material must be turned in on or by the due date. Late applications will not be accepted.