To hear the PCA High School Praise Band’s latest CD, please click here. PCA Praise Band CD
Middle School (Grades 6 – 8)
In Middle School, students begin to learn how music influences culture as well as how culture and society influence music.
In sixth grade, students study the lives of select Western Composers and the music they created beginning with Pre-Baroque Music. Since sixth graders study American History, there is a special emphasis on American music and how it has assisted in shaping the diverse character of our country through such musical idioms as musical theater, folk, sacred, patriotic, and classical genres. These musical styles are compared and contrasted across region and time delivering the exuberant and inventive vision of Western and American Music.
In seventh grade, students gain an understanding of how music throughout the world has developed throughout ancient history to present day by comparing and contrasting musical style thereby gaining insight to how music and culture are connected worldwide.
Likewise, eighth graders survey American popular music beginning with early folk and blues. Special emphasis is given to the influence that a given musical style has upon society and culture views and how commercial music has evolved decade by decade, comparing and contrasting musical style, rhetoric and the artists the create the music. Guitar is utilized in this class with the aim of teaching basic skills, including first-position notes and scales, primary chords, and accompaniment patterns while developing solo and ensemble skills.
Each Middle School course is designed to:
- Increase the variety and depth of the student’s interest, knowledge, and involvement in various music styles
- Emphasize the relationship music has as an art form with man and society.
- Introduce the student to the basic key elements of music (tonality, rhythm, tempo, melody, harmony, timbre, and dynamics) and allow them the opportunity to practically apply these concepts on guitar, piano, and various percussion instruments.
- Develop the skills of song analysis and critical listening
- Acquaint the student with the diverse variety of world music literature as well as allowing them the opportunity to create and experiment with each of the musical genres presented.
High School (Grades 9-12)
High School classes in music are offered as electives and include Praise Band, Music Recording and Technology, and Music Business. These courses are designed to give a broader and deeper view of the musical world and how we, as Christians, can make an impact on society and culture through music either through the creation or consumption of it.